Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Still finding things to be thankful for

All I can say is boy do I serve a mighty God.  I know I just shared yesterday but I am so thankful for the amount of prayers, encouraging words, & love shown to us today. Amazing!

Today's devotion has my name written all over it.  Just read & you'll see what I'm talking about. Perhaps you too have been battling attacks on your mind, if so, this is for you too. Or maybe you'll need to remember this for a later day.

"Do not be surprised by the fiery attacks on your mind. When you struggle to find Me and to live in My Peace, don't let discouragement set in. you are engaged in massive warfare, spiritually speaking. The evil one abhors your closeness to Me, and his demonic underlings are determined to destroy our intimacy. When you find yourself in the thick of battle, call upon My Name: "Jesus, help me!" At that instant, the battle becomes Mine; your role is simply to trust Me as I fight for you."

Yup, that's what I'm talking about.  And today the fiery darts kept flying.  As you may have read on Facebook, today was Morgan's birthday.  What we would have hoped to be a great day to celebrate her birth. God blessing our family with her...was not so wonderful for her.  She woke up happy, excited, to come downstairs and have a great day only to lay on the floor in the living room. She said she didn't feel good but I figured it was because she was just overly hungry.  Gabby helped make a waffle for her and I finished it up. I even brought it to her to try to help her eat it so she'd feel better.  She actually looked kinda pale so I didn't force anything and I made sure to grab the bucket that was nearby (I hate cleaning stuff off the floor so I try to keep buckets stashed.).  Good thing too because a little while later, she threw up and then declared that this was the worst birthday ever.  How sad I felt for her. She was upset she wouldn't be able to share her cupcakes for snack. I said, well it's a good thing we didn't finish frosting them because now they'll be super fresh when we do in on Wed.  She threw up like 5 times and then she fell asleep for somewhere between 1 -2 hours.  I don't really know because she was laying on the chair and I was trying to get Sadie to calm down & nap since she had gone to sleep somewhere between 9-10pm, was up several times & then stayed awake (which means I was too) from 5:30am on.  I was trying to rest as well but the phone rang a few times & one was Braly asking for cough & cold meds.  So I started getting things ready to head out the door. Since Sadie was not herself, a fever had resurfaced on Saturday after having a few good days & then she was not herself last night or today, I took her to the walk in clinic after bringing Braly some meds & getting his lunch card replacement squared away.  Sadie ended up with an ear infection & is now on antibiotics. She still wasn't herself completely the rest of the day but thankfully tylenol and motrin help some.  She's resting now so I'm going to make this as quick as I can.  Morgan got better after her nap & her day turned out to be better than she had originally thought. We ended up with nuggets from Wendy's and a chocolate frosty too.  Gabby was complaining of her chest feeling tight and just overly tired or weak.  Yes, the enemy is attacking my family hard core.  The kids fighting has been almost unbearable lately. It just hurts me to watch how mean & nasty they are being to each other. Lashing out with words, actions, the whole lot and I HATE it. And so I keep praying.

I was thinking the other day how I had gotten off track with doing devotions with my kids & how it has affected them so I started back up. We've been doing them before bed nearly every night for the last 2 weeks or more and even though they were used to doing them and LOVED them before, they have been less than happy about them this time around.  It isn't like they are long.  They may be too simplistic but at the same time, they are basic and really good!  So instead of getting down on myself or giving up because I am being met with rude comments, displeasure, inattentiveness, and more, I am determined to persevere and  get them used to them again. I know that they are getting something out of each devotion and I just wanted to encourage others that you may think about trying a devotion time with your kids. Do it!!!  Yup, I just used the Nike slogan! It doesn't have to be extravagant. You don't have to feel as though you are inadequate. There are so many good devotions out there.  You just need to look to find one to fit your children. Their ages, stages, etc should be considered but find something.  And you might be met with open arms for a devotion time or maybe crossed arms and disgust but don't lose hope...their hearts will change.  Don't get frustrated...God is working on them and in them and you shouldn't give up.  Even ones like I have that love God, need to get right with him again and things will fall back into place better.  Tonight when we read our devotion. And we've been taking turns passing the book around.  My oldest asked if we could take it with us when we head downstate.  ABSOLUTELY! was my answer.  And I was thrilled to hear that question.  SO don't lose hope.  Don't allow negativity to take over.  Keep on the best you can and know that good things are getting in, even if they don't act like it.  And this time of year, there are so many cool, fun, great devotions to do like Advent ones. Some are even free.  (Here's one from one of my favorite websites. Focus on the Family.) http://www.focusonthefamily.com/parenting/holidays/making-meaningful-christmas-memories/celebrate-advent.aspx   So give it a go & start somewhere.  Like I've said before when it comes to making healthy choices and this applies to many areas of our lives...start where you're at & go from there.  Make it your goal to do better today, than you did yesterday. Don't compare yourself to others. Just keep your eyes on God. He'll help you!  And I'm cheering you on too!

Food for thought from God's word that goes along with the devotion.
Ephesians 6:12-13 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore, put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

 1 Samuel 17:47 All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the Lord saves; for the battle is the Lord's and he will give all of you into our hands.

Philippians 2:9-11 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

1 Peter 1:8-9 Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment